GREEN TEA IN SKINCARE – WHAT DOES IT DO?
JULES C on JUNE 4, 2019
Green tea is touted as being good for your health, but did you know it has skincare benefits as well? Green tea and green tea extract have been a popular ingredient in Korean skincare for what feels like forever, and for good reason! Found on ingredient lists as camellia sinesis, green tea has several benefits for your skin.
Why is green tea good for your skin? Green tea contains polyphenols – chemical compounds that have antioxidant properties. These polyphenols, epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) in particular, are believed to be what makes green tea so beneficial for you. Don’t believe me? Check out some research on the topic:
- Plant polyphenols as dietary antioxidants in human health and disease
- Epigallocatechin Gallate (EGCG) Is the Most Effective Cancer Chemopreventive Polyphenol in Green Tea
- Polyphenols: food sources and bioavailability
- Green Tea and Other Tea Polyphenols: Effects on Sebum Production and Acne Vulgaris
Anti-aging benefits of green tea in skincare include an improvement in skin tone and texture and the possible reduction of fine lines. Some products also utilize fermented green tea extract, with ferments helping product absorption to further hydrate the skin.
When looking for products that help soothe redness and inflammation, you may want to look for ingredient lists that include green tea as well. Its anti-inflammatory properties can help an angry breakout heal faster, as well as calm any redness while the breakout is still around. Green tea is also highlighted as an ingredient for oily skin, to help with sebum control.
If you’re looking to include green tea in your routine, check out these product lines
1. innisfree – there is an entire line based off of green tea, including the popular Green Tea Seed Serum!
3. Tony Moly The Chok Chok Green Tea – this line specifically highlights fermented green tea as a hydrating ingredient.
So sit back and relax with a cup of green tea or a matcha latte and a green tea infused sheet mask, and reap the benefits both inside and out!